Physical vapor deposition (PVD) is the production of thin films or ‘coatings’ using a variety of methods involving vacuum deposits. First, a solid material is made into a vapor through a number of processes such as heating or sputtering.
Next, the vaporized substance is deposited on a receiving object as a coating of a thickness ranging from a few atoms (< 10 Å or 0,0001 µm) to 100 µm (the width of a human hair).
The PVD process is used in electronics, optics, and in chemical and mechanical use cases where a thin film is required, including:
- Semiconductor devices (e.g. thin-film solar panels)
- Specialist scientific instruments and tools
- Fabrication tools with PVD coating
- Food packaging (using aluminized PET film)
- Metalworking cutting tools (coated)
Industrial and R&D applications of PVD
PhotonExport supplies bench-top tools for SEM (Scanning Electron Microscopy) and TEM (Transmission Electron Microscopy) sample preparation or R&D applications where a coating system is needed for use on microscopes and other research tools. We offer the following carefully designed bench-top coating systems, all of which are compact and cost-effective solutions for in-house manufacturing.
Diameter to 300 mm PVD
This stainless steel compact coating system offers a complete range of vacuum systems, chamber and modular process accessories.
Designed to the stringent specifications of researchers and electron microscopists, this bench-top coating system is the perfect addition to any laboratory or research studio needing coating solutions for objects with substrate diameters of up to 300 mm in size.
Lab Coater-Diameter to 500 mm
- This bench-top coating system accommodates large diameter substrates up to 500 mm with a front-loading box chamber.
- Available processes include resistance evaporation, electron beam and sputter vaporization methods.
- Accommodates substrate holders with domes (simple or planetary motion) or functional single wafer substrates. Perfect for research and development or pre-production labs and studios.
Other Deposition Systems
Additional systems, offer greater processing capacity and glove box integration and box coaters with ion beam capability. Custom configuration options include a variety of chamber sizes, accessories, techniques and processes for the deposition step, and a choice of work holders, load locks and pumping options. PhotonExport can help you source the right array of features for your specialist needs.
Industrial Metallization Equipment
There are a number of options to select from when it comes to choosing the right industrial metallization equipment. Features include a choice of simple or double rotation movement for the system throughput, glow discharge with pre-cleaning, and chamber sizes of 1,700, 1,900 or 2,800 mm in diameter.